May 12, 2003

Ah... another Monday.

While the rest of the world trudges back to work, I (numbered among the gloriously unemployed) have a week looming large ahead of me.

I've been doing the hermit thing mostly as of late. It's very easy for me to stay in and around the house if only not to spend any money (to use the Godfather reference, I've gone "to the mattresses").

The hermit thing is good because, after awhile I'm forced to get around to doing all the things I put off doing if only due to sheer boredom. There are just so many days you can spend watching the litany of court shows and Springer type shows until you've had your fill and want to do something else. Same thing goes for whiling away the hours surfing the net.

It's like coming out of a coma or something - especially when I look around and see the disaster area the house is. I keep seeing images of people's houses out in the midwest after they've been hit by a tornado and think to myself, "Wow! Our place looks like that and we didn't even get hit by a tornado!"

So, when Monday comes around, I have to sit down and figure out what exactly it is I'll accomplish for the week. Last time around when I was home for any stratch of time I made out this big list which covered four areas, I think it was something like "house," "office," "career" and "personal." The list was so long it was overwhelming (and paralyzing). Now I just try to get a few things done each week to get me closer to whatever ephemeral goal I have in my life.

It works lots better.

No comments: